Monday, April 9, 2012

You Know His Shtick

As The Martin Chronicles reported yesterday, we are receiving conflicting leads regarding Villa Hills Mayor Mike Martin’s plans moving forward. Some are saying that they have reason to believe Martin is strongly weighing his options regarding an exit strategy. Others indicate that Martin has every intention to counter-attack with every scurrilous story he can fabricate.

This much we do know. The Special Counsel is currently scheduled to deliver his preliminary report on April 30. We have received numerous indications that the Special Counsel’s report is going to paint a damning picture of mismanagement and, worse yet, official misconduct.

Those who speculate that Martin is considering an early exit believe he wants to avoid the public embarrassment to himself, his family and the residents of Villa Hills. Despite his comments to the media and claims that people are approaching him telling him not to resign, the preponderance of public reaction so far has included people on news reports and at the podium during council meetings respectfully asking the mayor to step down. We are not inclined to think Martin will make a graceful exit. “Graceful” is not the Martin Way.

When Martin avoided a forgery trial by the skin of his teeth a few years ago, he did not thank his lucky stars. Instead, he recruited his now-infamous hillbilly lynch mob to join him in a disgraceful campaign of LIBEL, SLANDER, DEFAMATION and flat-out LIES. At first, one could consider his dirtbag efforts successful. But not now.

Why? Martin’s campaign of deceit has triggered one serious lawsuit and has the City on the precipice of at least one more. Martin has also been caught destroying City records and was discovered fabricating a document designed to hide his misdeed. His official City policy to disobey State Open Records statutes has been revealed. Witnesses have seen the mayor removing property from the City Building after-hours. By his own admission (despite his multiple version of events-all of which are LIES), Martin improperly destroyed City property. These are just a few of the many issues being scrutinized by Special Counsel.

Despite all of this, Martin continues to make excuses and point blame at others. His three-page Manifesto is a bizarre document full of contradictory CALUMNY and DEFAMTION. His wife published a LIBELOUS letter-to-the-editor. Two other pinheaded Martin cronies have written equally disgraceful, self-serving “opinion” pieces.

The best so far? Martin’s “bombshell” revelation that another councilman should resign because he doesn’t have an occupational license. There is a major reason that Martin’s “bombshell” is a dud. That councilman is not required to have an occupational license. Martin and his wife should be ashamed for making such a dishonest claim. But shame is obviously not in their DNA. With them it has been an endless stream of LIES.

Martin has a real problem. For most of his life he could get away with answering any tough question with one dismissive LIE. It has worked with the customers of his “shoddy at best” handyman business. It convinced the mouth-breathing vine-swingers and hate-mongers at the Civic Club. The sanctimonious, holier-than-thou louts from the St. Joe’s Heavy Drinking Men Society lapped it up. The tea-partiers, liberty-leaguers, home-schoolers, Bible-thumpers and other various and sundry extremists and hypocrites pinned their hopes on the Little Man from Norwood. Several hundred thousands of dollars of RED INK later, are at least these government-hating extremists at least a little disillusioned?

We all know the Unahandyman’s shtick by now.

·         “I was elected by the people to (fill-in-the-blank).”

·         “I am happy to announce (despite what The Supreme Court of the United States has twice-ruled) that I am not suing the City.”

·         ”My heart tells me one thing. My head tells me something else.”

·         “I didn’t know then. But I know that now.”

·         “They won’t work with me.”

·         “I’ve been so very busy.”

·         “I am for the road tax. I am against the road tax. I am both for and against the road tax.”

·         I have no idea who produced the pro-Road Tax flyer in the Voice of Villa Hills (that I received a “confidential “ reprimand from the City’s Ethics Board for improperly using City personnel and resources to produce).”

·         “I have all of the proper licenses to run my handyman business (unless you include the licenses I should have had for the electrical, plumbing and commercial work I am doing).”

·         “I’d rather pay a little (as in hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of) overtime.”

·         “I saved $15,000 by firing the accounting firm (despite the fact that the City is now swimming in a sea of red ink).”

·         “You ARE getting what you voted for.”

·         “I found $30K in uncollected taxes (3 different times).”

·         “The Civil Service Commission only sent me four qualified candidates for the City Clerk position (and I didn’t bother to interview any of them).”

·         “Someone flagged me down on the way to the council meeting.”

·         “I am going to lay-off 40% of the City staff to make up for my massive mismanagement and overspending (but I am very angry at that reporter from Channel 9 for having the nerve to report that fact to the residents).”

·         “Double-dipping is wrong but I am signing the man I LIBELOUSLY called a double-dipper to a multi-year contract to do more double-dipping.”

·         “The previous administration left me with absolutely no records but I had so many records laying around all over the City Building that I had to burn a couple of truckloads of them right before the discovery phase of a lawsuit against me.”

·         “That’s your opinion.”

It will be far harder now. Why? Because every Martin LIE-and there will be many-will be followed up with another question. And then another question. And then yet another question. And most likely even another question. It is already quite clear that Martin has a very difficult time keeping his LIES straight. Martin has a lot at stake. It doesn’t look good for the little fella. But we don’t think he is smart enough to realize it.

The shtick that will now cause Martin the greatest problem? “He’s the CEO. It’s HIS decision. Deal with it.” But is HE moving on? We doubt it. At least not without a large dose of dreadful embarrassment to Villa Hills first.